Call for Entries: CURRENTS 2023
CURRENTS is the PhotoNOLA Festival annual showcase which highlights the diverse photographic work being created by New Orleans Photo Alliance members. The exhibit will open in December at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, during the PhotoNOLA Festival.
Juror: Jacob Moscovitch
Deadline: September 30, 2023
CURRENTS is a showcase exhibition featuring 4+ images per selected photographer, and is designed to give an overview of contemporary photographic practices and projects. The 2023 show will feature works by no more than ten artists.
CURRENTS will open on December 15, 2023 and remain on view through January 29, 2024
About the Juror:
Jacob Moscovitch (he/him) is a queer first-generation Israeli-American photo editor at The New York Times. He has worked on a range of editing projects for the Culture, Style and Travel desks. Previously, he was a photo editor at the Los Angeles Times where he specialized in celebrity portraiture.
Before becoming an editor, Jacob was a documentary and portrait photographer exploring themes of identity, youth, family and the LGBTQ+ community. His photography has been recognized by College Photographer of the Year and Picture of the Year International, and he was named Student Photographer of the Year by the White House News Photographers Association.
Jacob holds a Bachelor’s in Journalism from the Missouri School of Journalism and also studied at the Danish School of Media and Journalism.
Eligibility: Submissions are open to all current New Orleans Photo Alliance members. Applicants may join at time of entry. However, we ask that you do not enter if your work was accepted for CURRENTS 2022, or resubmit any images that have been featured in previous CURRENTS exhibitions. Different images from a previously featured series are eligible. Please note that selected artists typically have multiple pieces accepted into the show.
Submission Fee: $25
Deadline: September 23, 2023
Notification: October 7, 2023
Receipt of artwork: BEFORE December 1, 2023
Exhibition Dates: December 15, 2023 – January 29, 2024
Opening Reception: December 15, 2023
Submission Requirements & Guidelines
Your entry must include:
- A portfolio of 5 to 10 images from a cohesive body of work. Theme is open.
- Images of work must be submitted digitally through the online application. Each image should be in jpeg format, 10 inches wide, sized at 72 pixels per inch (720 pixels).
- Name your files with your last name, first name, and image title using an underscore to separate the names. Example: Doe_Jane_ImageTitle.jpg,
- Images exhibited in previous CURRENTS exhibitions are not eligible for submission. Entrants featured in CURRENTS 2022 will not be considered.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for making sure work is printed, framed (or otherwise presented professionally), wired and ready to hang.
- If accepted, individual works should not exceed 32″ x 40″ framed.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for either delivering the work or paying for shipping both ways. Shipped work should be packed in REUSABLE shipping containers. Please, no packing peanuts.
- An artist statement
- A concise description of the work, limited to 260 characters, which will serve as an introduction to your work, visible to juror alongside the thumbnail images. Can include title of series and a brief explanation of the project. (Think elevator speech)
- $25 application fee
New Orleans Photo Alliance (NOPA) reserves the right to reject any delivered art that does not match the online submission, or fails to meet framing and matting requirements. Artists should pack work in REUSABLE shipping containers and refrain from using packing peanuts. Neither NOPA nor the Ogden Museum are liable for any damages to artwork, or for artwork left after the closing of the exhibition.
New Orleans Photo Alliance reserves the right to use selected images online and in print for exhibition-related publicity purposes; NOPA will properly credit the photographers.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the guidelines and application requirements thoroughly.
See NOPA website for membership details.