CURRENTS 2016: New Orleans Photo Alliance Members Showcase
New Orleans Photo Alliance members are invited to submit work for consideration in CURRENTS 2016: NOPA Members Showcase. The exhibit will open in December at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, in conjunction with the 2016 PhotoNOLA festival.
CURRENTS is an annual exhibition which was initiated to highlight the contemporary photographic work created by NOPA members. The show will include work by as many as fifteen artists, featuring several images by each selected photographer. CURRENTS 2016 will open on December 8 and run through January 29, 2017. The opening reception and juror’s talk will be held on Friday, December 9.
Juror: Kevin Miller, Southeast Museum of Photography
Entry Deadline: Oct 1, 2016
Eligibility: Submission is open to all current members of the New Orleans Photo Alliance. Applicants may join at time of entry.
Submission Fee: $25
Submission Fee + NOPA Membership: $60
Submissions require 5-10 images, an artist statement, and a CV, along with a brief (260 character) description of the project. (Think elevator speech.)
About the Juror:
Kevin Miller was the Director and Senior Curator for fourteen years at the Southeast Museum of Photography (SMP), a public museum in Florida solely dedicated to photography. At the SMP he curated and presented more than 300 exhibitions and produced numerous exhibition program series, catalogues and texts. One of the largest exclusively photographic institutions in the US and the largest such institution in the southeastern United States, the museum presents fifteen public exhibitions each year that have featured world-class photojournalism, fashion and advertising images, thematic, vintage, retrospective and genre themes, contemporary photographic art and works by most of the of great photographers. The museum maintains a significant permanent collection with strengths in general photographic history, documentary photography and contemporary photography. Mr. Miller is now an Associate Curator at SMP, and a consulting curator and exhibition developer in freelance practice.
-Submit 5-10 jpegs, from a cohesive body of work.
-Artist statement + brief project description are also required.
-You will have to create an account through EntryThingy in order to submit your entry.
-All art submitted must be original work, created by the applicant.
-New Orleans Photo Alliance reserves the right to use selected images in web and print for exhibition related publicity purposes; NOPA will properly credit the photographers.
-Accepted works should be presented professionally, wired and ready to hang.
1. $25 application fee to be directed through Paypal immediately after your application has been successfully uploaded.
2. An artist statement or project description, to be pasted into appropriate box when prompted at beginning of entry process.
3. A concise description of the work, limited to 260 characters, which will serve as an introduction to your work, visible to juror alongside the thumbnail images. Can include title of series and a brief explanation of the project. (Think elevator speech)
4. A portfolio of 5 to 10 images. Images can originate in any format but must be submitted digitally through an online application process.
5. Each image submitted should be in jpeg format, 10 inches wide, sized at 72 pixels per inch (720 pixels). Name your files with your last name then first name and image title using an underscore to separate the names. Example: Doe_Jane_ImageTitle.jpg,
6. Each image submitted will also require a title, dimensions, medium, and year created. Each image file and its accompanying information will be entered and uploaded one at a time.
7. Images exhibited in previous CURRENTS exhibitions are not eligible for submission.
The New Orleans Photo Alliance (NOPA) reserves the right to reject any delivered art that does not match the online submission, or fails to meet framing and matting requirements. Artists should pack work in REUSABLE shipping containers and refrain from using packing peanuts. Neither NOPA nor the Ogden Museum are liable for any damages to artwork, or for artwork left after the closing of the exhibition.
Deadline: October 1, 2016
Notification: October 10, 2016
Receipt of artwork: Nov 22, 2016
Exhibition Dates: December 8, 2016 – January 24, 2017
Opening Reception & Juror’s Talk: Friday, December 9, 5-7 pm
Take down: January 25, 2016
Questions? Email Thom Bennett at email@example.com