The PhotoNOLA Review Scholarship is a career development opportunity offered to Louisiana residents. Applicants with financial need who seek to develop their photographic careers through portfolio reviews with leading industry professionals are encouraged to apply.
The goal of this scholarship is to engage, develop and mentor members of the local photography community by providing access to the numerous opportunities available during the PhotoNOLA review process.
The scholarship recipient will receive:
- a $550 review registration fee waiver, which includes review meetings with eight industry leaders and a ticket to the PhotoNOLA Gala & Auction
- two review prep mentoring sessions with Frank Relle, and one follow-up session within the next year; and
- a one-year Silver membership to the New Orleans Photo Alliance.
Applicants will need to submit a portfolio of 10 images, artist statement, CV, proof of Louisiana residency, a declaration of income, and a statement of intent. There is no fee to apply.
Deadline: August 20, 2018
Notification: Sept 1, 2018
Mentoring: Dates TBD between Frank & recipient
Portfolio Reviews: Dec 13 & 14, 2018
– Digital portfolio of 10 images, 72dpi jpegs at 1000 pixels on the long side.
Files must be named with your last name then first name and image title using an underscore to separate the names. Example: Doe_Jane_ImageTitle.jpg
– Artist Statement
– CV To be uploaded in PDF format
– Statement of Intent
Why would you like to attend the 2018 PhotoNOLA reviews? What are your photographic career goals? How could the scholarship and review process impact your career at this time?
– Proof of Louisiana Residency
Please provide a copy of a valid drivers license or residency card and one utility bill.
The scholarship is open to photographers who made $35,000 or less in the past year. Applicants will be asked to declare their previous year’s income range.
* Please note that the application form has no option to save work in progress (other than leaving your computer browser open) or to go back and edit fields once the form is submitted. It is advised that you collect all the necessary information, image files and documents ahead of time, then double check everything before you submit.
A panel including members of the New Orleans Photo Alliance Board and PhotoNOLA committee; Steven Maklansky, Interim Director, Louisiana State Museum; Paige and Joshua Mann Pailet, A Gallery for Fine Photography; Brian Piper, Curatorial Fellow, New Orleans Museum of Art; Frank Relle; and Constance Lewis, Independent Curator, will meet to review submissions and select the recipient.