New Orleans Photo Alliance members are invited to submit work for consideration in CURRENTS 2021.
CURRENTS is an annual exhibition which highlights the diverse photographic work being created by New Orleans Photo Alliance members. The exhibit will open in December at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, in conjunction with the PhotoNOLA festival.
Curator: Michael Foley
CURRENTS is a showcase exhibition featuring 4+ images per selected photographer, and is designed to give an overview of contemporary photographic practices and projects. The 2021 show will feature works by no more than ten artists.
CURRENTS will open on December 10 and remain on view through February 6, 2022.
About the Curator:
Michael Foley opened his gallery in Croton-on-Hudson, New York. He opened his gallery in the fall of 2004 after fourteen years of working with notable photography galleries, including Fraenkel, Howard Greenberg, and Yancey Richardson. His personal art-making practice is equally inspired by collage, cut paper, and painting. In 2006, he brought artists within these disciplines to the list of exhibiting gallery artists.
Foley went on to co-found The Exhibition Lab in the fall of 2009. He is the founder of The Photo Community, which regularly offers workshops and critiques for photographers. He gives guidance to fine art photographers in his weekly newsletter, The Photographer’s Report on Substack.Foley continues his interest in educating by serving on the School of Visual Arts faculty and the International Center of Photography, where he teaches and lectures on issues in contemporary photography.
Eligibility: Submissions are open to all current New Orleans Photo Alliance members. Applicants may join at time of entry. However, we ask that you do not enter if your work was accepted for CURRENTS 2020, or resubmit any images that have been featured in previous CURRENTS exhibitions. Different images from a previously featured series are eligible. Please note that selected artists typically have multiple pieces accepted into the show.
Submission Fee: $25
Deadline: November 8, 2021
Notification: November 12, 2021
Receipt of artwork: BEFORE December 6, 2021
Exhibition Dates: December 10, 2021 – February 6, 2022
Opening Reception & Juror’s Talk: December 10, 2021
Submission Requirements & Guidelines
Your entry must include:
- A portfolio of 5 to 10 images from a cohesive body of work. Theme is open.
- Images of work must be submitted digitally through the online application. Each image should be in jpeg format, 10 inches wide, sized at 72 pixels per inch (720 pixels).
- Name your files with your last name, first name, and image title using an underscore to separate the names. Example: Doe_Jane_ImageTitle.jpg,
- Images exhibited in previous CURRENTS exhibitions are not eligible for submission. Entrants featured in CURRENTS 2020 will not be considered.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for making sure work is printed, framed (or otherwise presented professionally), wired and ready to hang.
- If accepted, individual works should not exceed 32″ x 40″ framed.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for either delivering the work or paying for shipping both ways. Shipped work should be packed in REUSABLE shipping containers. Please, no packing peanuts.
- An artist statement
- A concise description of the work, limited to 260 characters, which will serve as an introduction to your work, visible to juror alongside the thumbnail images. Can include title of series and a brief explanation of the project. (Think elevator speech)
- $25 application fee, which can be payed at the New Orleans Photo Alliance online store after you have submitted your entry
New Orleans Photo Alliance (NOPA) reserves the right to reject any delivered art that does not match the online submission, or fails to meet framing and matting requirements. Artists should pack work in REUSABLE shipping containers and refrain from using packing peanuts. Neither NOPA nor the Ogden Museum are liable for any damages to artwork, or for artwork left after the closing of the exhibition.
New Orleans Photo Alliance reserves the right to use selected images online and in print for exhibition-related publicity purposes; NOPA will properly credit the photographers.
Questions? Email Ed Abraham at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the guidelines and application requirements thoroughly.
See NOPA website for membership details: neworleansphotoalliance.org